logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
misterrogers  
#1 Posted : Friday, December 24, 2010 2:03:11 PM(UTC)
misterrogers

Is there a way to associate drilled holes with a panel of wood for example, so that if the dimensions of the wood change, the drilled holes adjust accordingly?

Basically I want to be able to change the dimensions of the wood panel as many times necessary and keep the relation of the holes to each other and to the panel. Seems like something you'd find in Inventor or SW. I'm no expert in Shark, so I'd like some advice at dealing with this. The Features menu helps a little but many times it says the geometry cannot be regenerated. This is very handy when developing multiple SKUs inspired directly from one product.

Hope this makes sense.
NickB  
#2 Posted : Friday, December 24, 2010 5:30:22 PM(UTC)
NickB

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Yes and no.

You can edit and change multiple holes simultaneously, but not have them change automatically when you change the dimension of another object. Having said that, it might be possible if you could get constraints to work (Shark FX only), but since constraints are so badly documented and there are no tutorials your chance of success is very low.

What I do is draw the holes as circles making sure that they are all on the same plane. Then select all of the circles and use the negative extrude tool to create the holes. As all the features used to create the hoes are the same - circles, they can all be edited at the same time to the same value, similarly the distance of the cut, or depth of hole is also one feature if all the holes were made at once, so that can also be edited as a single feature.
Shark FX 9 build 1143
OS X 9.5
3.6 GHz Core i7, 8GB, GTX 760 2GB

matter.cc
mikeschn  
#3 Posted : Saturday, December 25, 2010 5:36:35 AM(UTC)
mikeschn

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Misterrogers,

You mean something like this?

http://www.mikenchell.com/images/parametric_holes.mp4

Mike...
ViaCAD Pro 12 on Windows; Viacad Pro 14 on Mac
misterrogers  
#4 Posted : Saturday, December 25, 2010 12:37:06 PM(UTC)
misterrogers

Both of those answers are what I was looking for. Many thanks.

NickB - Never thought to use circles, just used the hole tools. I can see how starting with circles enable more control since you create the most primitive form right at the outset. When you figure out where you're going to place the hole, do you place points to mark it in 2d or 3d space?

Mikeschn - Thanks for the video but can you please kindly explain in lay mans terms how changing the dimension text caused the overall geometry to change as well? Is that utilizing something in the constraints menu? I'll admit I've never used those. It would help tremendously if you could show a brief vid tutorial of how you drew the rectangle and what constraints you used etc. Thank you!
mikeschn  
#5 Posted : Saturday, December 25, 2010 2:00:01 PM(UTC)
mikeschn

Originally Posted by: misterrogers Go to Quoted Post
Both of those answers are what I was looking for. Many thanks.

Mikeschn - Thanks for the video but can you please kindly explain in lay mans terms how changing the dimension text caused the overall geometry to change as well? Is that utilizing something in the constraints menu? I'll admit I've never used those. It would help tremendously if you could show a brief vid tutorial of how you drew the rectangle and what constraints you used etc. Thank you!

Misterrogers...

Oh sure, here's a quick video. Crank your volume up... my mic doesn't seem to be very good...

http://www.mikenchell.com/images/parametric_holes_2.mp4

Mike...
misterrogers  
#6 Posted : Saturday, December 25, 2010 6:52:27 PM(UTC)
misterrogers

Mikeschn, very useful. Thanks for taking the time - especially during this holiday - to make the video. With my earphones in, I could hear the audio fine. Very Merry Xmas to you as well!
mikeschn  
#7 Posted : Saturday, December 25, 2010 8:21:06 PM(UTC)
mikeschn

Glad it helped...

Mike...
NickB  
#8 Posted : Monday, December 27, 2010 1:07:03 PM(UTC)
NickB

Mike,
Thanks for taking the time to make the screencast.

Do you use constraints often ?
Do you think you would be up for making a few more screencast / tutorials and putting them in the Tips and Tutorials section where they could be more easily found and of more help to more people.

Misterrogers,
No I do not use points to place my circles, instead I use construction lines to initially locate them, or place them on a feature and then use the Translate (move) tool to move the circle to the location I nee. Additionally I usually place them a few mm away from the surface I want to cut to make them easier to select. If I have several holes of different sizes I will color code the circles, and sometimes place them on different planes to make them easier to select.
Shark FX 9 build 1143
OS X 9.5

matter.cc
mikeschn  
#9 Posted : Monday, December 27, 2010 6:23:36 PM(UTC)
mikeschn

NickB,

I use constraints quite a bit at work, but that's in Pro/E. But still a lot of the same stuff applies to Shark. Shark is not as automatic as Pro/e, but still usable.

What kind of tutorials are you after?

Mike...
NickB  
#10 Posted : Monday, December 27, 2010 6:43:34 PM(UTC)
NickB

Originally Posted by: mikeschn Go to Quoted Post
NickB,
What kind of tutorials are you after?

Mike...

Something that shows how to use variables so that one dimension can govern another, so as to be able to create 4 equally spaced items, but with variable spacing so that changing one variable would change everything else.

Sorry to rant about this but . . . .
My frustration is that there is so little documentation on how to use constraints in Shark, and no tutorials available either within the program, or in this forum, yet they were supposed to be the big new enhancement / feature of V5 a few years back. A set of features or enhancements that were then quickly forgotten about by the development team.
Shark FX 9 build 1143
OS X 9.5

matter.cc
mikeschn  
#11 Posted : Monday, December 27, 2010 7:44:29 PM(UTC)
mikeschn

Originally Posted by: NickB Go to Quoted Post
Something that shows how to use variables so that one dimension can govern another, so as to be able to create 4 equally spaced items, but with variable spacing so that changing one variable would change everything else.

Sorry to rant about this but . . . .
My frustration is that there is so little documentation on how to use constraints in Shark, and no tutorials available either within the program, or in this forum, yet they were supposed to be the big new enhancement / feature of V5 a few years back. A set of features or enhancements that were then quickly forgotten about by the development team.

Hey NickB,

Would you like to join me while I wander aimlessly around a few equations?

http://www.mikenchell.com/images/equations.mp4

Mike...

P.S. the green lines are fully constrained, but you do not need to fully constrain all the lines. You can still extrude or revolve a partially constrained sketch.
NickB  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, December 28, 2010 3:05:55 PM(UTC)
NickB

Mike,
That is wonderful. Thank you very much.

Can I, or would you, post the link to the demo in the Tips and Tutorials section.

Nick
Shark FX 9 build 1143
OS X 9.5

matter.cc
mikeschn  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, December 28, 2010 3:12:26 PM(UTC)
mikeschn

Originally Posted by: NickB Go to Quoted Post
Mike,
That is wonderful. Thank you very much.

Can I, or would you, post the link to the demo in the Tips and Tutorials section.

Nick

go ahead and post the link!

Mike...
misterrogers  
#14 Posted : Monday, February 14, 2011 12:45:26 PM(UTC)
misterrogers

Mikeschn, is it possible to demonstrate how to constrain in 3D? I think I get how constraints work in a flat, 2D sketch according to your videos, but how difficult is it to constrain say a table with stretchers or a shelf all together?

If for example, the table is extended by a certain distance, how could the stretcher or shelf increase in width simultaneously? Or if the leg-height is reduced or increased, how to get all the other parts to move respectively?

Hope my query makes some sense to you.

Thank you.
Tim Olson  
#15 Posted : Monday, February 14, 2011 5:19:21 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 499 time(s) in 353 post(s)
Shark constraints are 2D only. It is based on the 2D DCM (Dimensional Constraint Manager) technology component from Siemens.

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
misterrogers  
#16 Posted : Monday, February 14, 2011 9:53:03 PM(UTC)
misterrogers

Originally Posted by: Tim Olson Go to Quoted Post
Shark constraints are 2D only. It is based on the 2D DCM (Dimensional Constraint Manager) technology component from Siemens.

Tim

Understood. Will 3D constraints be a part of future Shark versions?

regards
Tim Olson  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, February 15, 2011 3:11:00 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 499 time(s) in 353 post(s)
Not at this time. Typically third party 3D constraint engines are used to mate and align faces for assembly modeling.

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore