logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
misterrogers  
#1 Posted : Saturday, May 1, 2010 3:34:20 PM(UTC)
misterrogers

I don't get it.. why can't I just create 3 orthogonal projections (top, front, side) and dimension it without problems..

First of all, when I create a model-to-sheet for a part, the annoying frame around it acts quite crazy.. Sometimes it doesn't de-select. I lock the layer its on and it still allows me to select it which means that I can't easily select anything else on top of it (dimension lines, break lines, center lines etc..)

Second, I REQUIRE the three views to allow me to snap to important points on it, e.g. centers of holes, midpoints to add center lines, etc.. Sometimes I can't snap at all.

Third, when I go to "flatten view", it creates this Godawful polyline business which while ALLOWING me to SNAP, does not give me any centers, midpoints etc.. And has all the hidden lines stacked on top of it.

What I would like is to have a CLEAN 3-view detail on a page, that basically looks like it was drafted in 2D.

Somebody please help!! :( I have a terrible deadline for a project and I just want to create manufacturing drawing details without this headache.

:confused:
misterrogers  
#2 Posted : Saturday, May 1, 2010 4:30:48 PM(UTC)
misterrogers

Okay sorry for the harsh venting... But I get frustrated when it doesn't do what it seems like it should. Kind of like a parent would react when little johnny throws a fit instead of cleaning his room.

I've discovered that if I flatten view and convert to the 1mm line weight I normally use, then the image looks much better.. BUT.. I still find that when I try and select lines within the model-to-sheet, all too occasionally, it will not select.

For example, I just tried over and over to place a center-mark dimension on two holes, and both times I had to activate a different layer then go back to that layer before it would comply.

I love Shark like it was my own little son Johnny, but it oftentimes exhibits some seriously wonky behavior and makes me want to throw my computer at the wall.

*disclaimer: I do not have a son named Johnny.
jdi000  
#3 Posted : Saturday, May 1, 2010 5:48:03 PM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 81 post(s)
Hi misterrogers

A couple of things with model to sheet

1. If you have SHARK use precise lines not polylines for draw views.

2. Create new pen patterns with the weights you want for each lime style then when building the model to sheet use your custom pen patterns to create with.

These 2 will give you good crisp lines, and if you flatten you have arcs and splines not polylines.

I would make the draw view boxes visible and as large as you need to keep everything inside them its hard to select things that overlap the frames.

You don't have to use model to sheet to generate views. Create a single draw view button beside model to sheet and make as large as you need to dimension around. Then crtl drag the frame of a single view to get the other views you need. Then you can drag a title block in and scale it whatever fits around you draw views.

If you have anymore questions please post them.

Regards

Jason
Windows 11, 10
misterrogers  
#4 Posted : Sunday, May 2, 2010 7:29:20 AM(UTC)
misterrogers

Originally Posted by: jdi000 Go to Quoted Post
Hi misterrogers

You don't have to use model to sheet to generate views. Create a single draw view button beside model to sheet and make as large as you need to dimension around. Then crtl drag the frame of a single view to get the other views you need. Then you can drag a title block in and scale it whatever fits around you draw views.

THanks JDI, I'm trying this now. So I create a new draw view by starting at one corner and dragging to the opposite corner to create a frame. Then what? I tried ctrl+dragging the frame, but all it did was drag the frame with nothing inside..? Will you please elaborate? Also, is this supposed to create a new layer like it does with model-to-sheet so your original work stays in tact?

Thanks again!
jdi000  
#5 Posted : Sunday, May 2, 2010 9:14:06 AM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Originally Posted by: misterrogers Go to Quoted Post
THanks JDI, I'm trying this now. So I create a new draw view by starting at one corner and dragging to the opposite corner to create a frame. Then what? I tried ctrl+dragging the frame, but all it did was drag the frame with nothing inside..? Will you please elaborate? Also, is this supposed to create a new layer like it does with model-to-sheet so your original work stays in tact?

Thanks again!

Creating draw views single is more manual process, first create your own layer/s, as needed
then switch view to top view -->then create a new draw view click and drag the frame,
Then you select the geometry you want in the view go edit --> copy
then activate the view and then edit -->paste.
Then rt click on the little box at top left of frame to control view properties etc.

Change view can be any view even custom views you have created...
Then you can activate a view by clicking on the frame, then hold control and drag the side of the view to create a new views
I always turn the draw frame on in model to sheet to make it easier to keep all items inside the frame

You can add new geometry to any view at any time by selecting the geometry and copy and paste into the view you want. if you say and a part to an assembly or want to add something to show a detail.

Regards
Jason
Windows 11, 10
misterrogers  
#6 Posted : Sunday, May 2, 2010 10:46:05 AM(UTC)
misterrogers

Creating draw views single is more manual process, first create your own layer/s, as needed
then switch view to top view -->then create a new draw view click and drag the frame,
Then you select the geometry you want in the view go edit --> copy
then activate the view and then edit -->paste.
Then rt click on the little box at top left of frame to control view properties etc.

Change view can be any view even custom views you have created...
Then you can activate a view by clicking on the frame, then hold control and drag the side of the view to create a new views
I always turn the draw frame on in model to sheet to make it easier to keep all items inside the frame

You can add new geometry to any view at any time by selecting the geometry and copy and paste into the view you want. if you say and a part to an assembly or want to add something to show a detail.

Regards
Jason

Thank you again!! Just tried it, and it works well.

An unrelated question, this time about the text field for dimensions.

Is there a way/formula to be able to change the text to 2x what it is without having to manually type it in? e.g. the correct dimension is 150mm. Suppose I want it to reflect 300 without having to type it in. I was hoping there would be a formula like #*2 or something. Make sense? In case the dimension is something that I can't multiply by 2 in my head or don't wish to get out a calculator I want to be able to get Shark to figure it out.

You see I thought this might be a possibility, because when I translate stuff, I always just type next to the existing dimension +(new distance) e.g. If an object needs to move positive 5mm in the X-axis, I would type next to the X value +5.
jdi000  
#7 Posted : Sunday, May 2, 2010 12:25:57 PM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Originally Posted by: misterrogers Go to Quoted Post

Is there a way/formula to be able to change the text to 2x what it is without having to manually type it in? e.g. the correct dimension is 150mm. Suppose I want it to reflect 300 without having to type it in. I was hoping there would be a formula like #*2 or something. Make sense? In case the dimension is something that I can't multiply by 2 in my head or don't wish to get out a calculator I want to be able to get Shark to figure it out.

You see I thought this might be a possibility, because when I translate stuff, I always just type next to the existing dimension +(new distance) e.g. If an object needs to move positive 5mm in the X-axis, I would type next to the X value +5.

I don't know of any since this is a text field its not looking for expressions to evaluate just reading text symbols.
I think there should be a way to do this to make it easier, but I would also like to see a new variable added dimension scale so you can scale dimensions and have more control over

Regards
Jason
Windows 11, 10
misterrogers  
#8 Posted : Sunday, May 2, 2010 3:21:06 PM(UTC)
misterrogers

I would also like to see a new variable added dimension scale so you can scale dimensions and have more control over

Regards
Jason

Second this!