logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
misterrogers  
#1 Posted : Monday, July 4, 2011 6:30:49 PM(UTC)
misterrogers

Does anyone use either of these programs (shark/viacad) for creating interior or exterior architectural renderings? I've been asked to develop some interior renderings and having been given the floor plans, I envision tracing over the walls, extruding and then adding windows etc..

Anyone have any experience with this? I have zero experience myself and hope for any kind of feedback or suggestions.

I looked at Live Interior or even SketchUp but I prefer to use Shark only (I'm kind of a purist I guess).

Thanks!
lgrijalva  
#2 Posted : Monday, July 4, 2011 9:09:02 PM(UTC)
lgrijalva

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Vectorworks is very good for this, rendering is kinda slow but very good results
Luis G
Industrial Designer
MacOSX 10.10, Yosemite
Shark FX V8, Beta testing Shark FX V9-1146
www.miditec.com.mx
www.diferro.com
jol  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, July 5, 2011 12:07:33 AM(UTC)
jol

You can do this !

If you were doing heaps - you'll need another program for setting perspective and doing renderings

The issue as I see it - is setting up perspective for interior shots - I see you struggling in Shark / ViaCAD. You can get reasonable renderings - but they won't seem 'real' (like they might from something like Maxwell Render)

Modelling in Shark / VC is quick as you already know it - and the geometry will not be too challenging - so no problem there !

So - you could use Maxwell Render (or similar) to give you completely awesome render results from Shark / VC data - We have MR here and whilst it takes a while to learn ... it gets quite remarkable results - and it renders quite a lot quicker now (v2.5)
misterrogers  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, July 5, 2011 7:38:20 AM(UTC)
misterrogers

lgrijalva - According to their website, it appears they have different variations of vectorworks.. architect, designer, etc. If true, is architect the version to use for this type of work? And what is the learning curve on it? Thanks.

JOL - For rendering, I currently use Keyshot and find it to be very easy and give rather exceptional results quickly. Not familiar with Maxwell - do you have to set up lighting yourself? Keyshot sets this up for you but does a pretty good job.

With Shark/viacad, how does one get interior shots in Maxwell? Do you have to remove a wall or something? I mean how do you get the camera inside? Does maxwell allow camera-importing?
jol  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, July 5, 2011 9:37:07 AM(UTC)
jol

You're making a stage set - yes leave out a wall if you wish - otherwise set a clip plane

... Shark / VC for geometry

... Keyshot / Maxwell for rendering via exported OBJ or whatever

In Maxwell, you can set up lights as you wish - or just choose a global environment - which will light your scene. Typically though interiors will need to be lit
lgrijalva  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, July 5, 2011 10:37:56 AM(UTC)
lgrijalva

Originally Posted by: misterrogers Go to Quoted Post
lgrijalva - According to their website, it appears they have different variations of vectorworks.. architect, designer, etc. If true, is architect the version to use for this type of work? And what is the learning curve on it? Thanks.?

The basic version have architectural tools, like walls, windows, etc., VW architect complements the suite with extra plugins for marking, landscape, libraries, roofing, etc, and renderworks plugin also allows to make very descents renders from inside the app, with lights, texture, hdri and raytracing, without needs of export to another software (but the render times it larger than i.e. C4D,).

The learning curve is smooth, for me is very intuitive, as well as the sheet drawing for 2d plans, i used to like this software, but i switch to shark cause is much better for modeling objects, with better tools.

just a warning, the last version of vectorworks seems to have a lot of issues, i didn't test it yet because a don't use it anymore, but in their forum you can see this kind of complains.

Luis G.
Luis G
Industrial Designer
MacOSX 10.10, Yosemite
Shark FX V8, Beta testing Shark FX V9-1146
www.miditec.com.mx
www.diferro.com