logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
BridgeCityMike  
#1 Posted : Monday, June 21, 2010 11:47:04 AM(UTC)
BridgeCityMike

I have not seen if someone else suggested this.

How about making the Inspector's Tabs stack up so that they are all visible at once if one would like to set it up that way.

With larger monitors, we have more screen real estate to have them open. I spend so much time toggling between each of the tabs while I make prints. If all were open, all of the time, things would be faster.
BridgeCityMike  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, October 13, 2010 1:30:57 PM(UTC)
BridgeCityMike

Here is what I am thinking of. You can see how the Inspector has the tabs opened up so that they are all visible. Many fewer mouse clicks to get change an existing dimension's style or tolerance info.
BridgeCityMike attached the following image(s):
SharkInspector.jpg (168kb) downloaded 4 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
ZeroLengthCurve  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, October 13, 2010 2:11:14 PM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Was thanked: 36 time(s) in 25 post(s)
Originally Posted by: BridgeCityMike Go to Quoted Post
Here is what I am thinking of. You can see how the Inspector has the tabs opened up so that they are all visible. Many fewer mouse clicks to get change an existing dimension's style or tolerance info.

Or, alternatively, give the app an ability to store profiles based on windows' awareness of one or more displays.

Also, the software NEEDS to allow us to anchor the palettes to a corner or edge position of our choice.

If i change or add or remove displays, the desktop resolution accordingly and naturally changes. In VirtualBox, for example, it's far too easy to inadvertently (or out of necessity) to resize the window. That forces windows itself to change resolution, and that forces a shift in any in-focus app's palettes and tool boxes. Resizing the windows desktop does NOT revert or restore the palettes and tool boxes to their (the user's) prior i liked-it-better-the-way-it-was-last-session setting. This sometimes is quite unsettling.

SO...

I'd like to impore deeply that it be possible to attach/anchor (permantely as defined by the user, not by window's lame crash/recover state or session history) the palettes so the center viewing area is not cluttered.

Please make this a patch to VCP 6, too.

Much appreciation.
NickB  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, October 13, 2010 5:16:59 PM(UTC)
NickB

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Zero.
I understand your frustration, and have the same problem every time I work on a laptop and add an external display.

A thought. Have you tried locking, or making the Dialogs.ini file that stores palette positions read only so that ViaCAD can not overwrite your default positions ?

The other trick I use is to save groups of preferences so that I can easily restore window positions for different size monitors. Off course this does require that you swap the preference file BEFORE starting ViaCAD.
Shark FX 9 build 1143
OS X 9.5
3.6 GHz Core i7, 8GB, GTX 760 2GB

matter.cc
NickB  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, October 13, 2010 5:21:24 PM(UTC)
NickB

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Mike,
I have been asking Tim to do this and separate Layers and History for as long as I can remember. I am 100 percent with you on this and find it hard to understand why Tim is so reticent to improve usability with such a simple UI improvement.

Dockable or even just separated and un-dockable inspector palettes would be worth the price of an upgrade for me.
Shark FX 9 build 1143
OS X 9.5
3.6 GHz Core i7, 8GB, GTX 760 2GB

matter.cc
Jean-Francois Jacques  
#6 Posted : Thursday, October 14, 2010 9:09:41 AM(UTC)
Jean-Francois Jacques

Canada

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 21 post(s)
We have a lot of good examples on the market for some solutions. Look the tools toolbars of Shark! Is a 100% apple UI standard. Is like Adobe products..compact toolbars tools with 2 rows with expandable line tools.

Why don't use also a standard for a floating windows, like Nick said ... Dockable - Undockable windows like Creative Suite Adobe.
METEORE DESIGN / KEKO Stand
Jean-Francois Jacques, Industrial Designer
SharkCad Pro V14 B1653
Platform macOS 14 Sonoma
BridgeCityMike  
#7 Posted : Thursday, October 14, 2010 9:57:31 AM(UTC)
BridgeCityMike

Oh of course. Just like the Tool toolbars in Shark! You can remove a row of tools if you need them. Just remove the Tab when you need to.

I, too, like Adobe's palette setups they have going on.
Gary  
#8 Posted : Thursday, October 14, 2010 10:13:11 AM(UTC)
Gary

I agree, it is a long overdue request. Those with 2 monitors would see a noticeable efficiency increase if all of the tabbed palettes could be separated.
Hopefully we will see this in an upcoming version.

Gary
jol  
#9 Posted : Thursday, October 14, 2010 5:05:32 PM(UTC)
jol

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
My understanding is that Adobe has patents in this area that make reorganising tabbed windows in such a way tricky for us. Still, I don't doubt there's a way that would be more flexible for users. As for me, I'm happy and would rather see this time put into other areas like perspective, more robust and flexible feature tree etc
jlm  
#10 Posted : Friday, October 15, 2010 12:12:27 AM(UTC)
jlm

Man
France

Was thanked: 151 time(s) in 96 post(s)
I support this request too.
If Adobe has patents, why not just replicate complete tab windows, like in Apple Pages or Keynotes.
Having several time the same dialog, set on different tabs is fine.
See "New inspector" command in Pages or Keynotes.
JL