logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jol  
#21 Posted : Friday, March 28, 2014 6:34:29 AM(UTC)
jol

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
That's magic David !!
workshopswarf  
#22 Posted : Friday, March 28, 2014 6:56:44 AM(UTC)
workshopswarf

Hi Larry,
I have heard of that show but it's a bit too far for me to visit!
I like inches, it's an age thing. It's what I learnt at school. I can do metric but find it harder to visualise.
I have sent quite a few castings to the US for other engines and imperial seems prefered there by model engineers.
workshopswarf  
#23 Posted : Wednesday, April 2, 2014 2:38:46 PM(UTC)
workshopswarf

Got there in the end!
My PC took ages on some of the blending and had a few crashes. I am expecting the rest of this engine build to go smoother now I have more experience and the remaining parts are much simpler.
workshopswarf attached the following image(s):
Capture Block complete.PNG (43kb) downloaded 6 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
jol  
#24 Posted : Wednesday, April 2, 2014 7:55:02 PM(UTC)
jol

good work David !!!
zumer  
#25 Posted : Wednesday, April 2, 2014 9:36:47 PM(UTC)
zumer

Originally Posted by: L. Banasky Go to Quoted Post

My son uses a NextEngine scanner for reverse engineering, he can accomplish more in one hour, than I can in a week.
Larry

3DSystem's Geomagic Sense scanner is leading a price crash. 3m x 3m envelope, $400 - and I was impressed by NextEngine at $2.5K. I expect that the results reflect the price, but 3DS says it does direct-to-stl so the scanned object can go straight to a 3D print, as well as .obj and a couple of other formats. I don't know how it'll deal with cavities and occlusions that it can't see the sides and back of, but wow.
workshopswarf  
#26 Posted : Sunday, April 6, 2014 1:38:53 PM(UTC)
workshopswarf

I thought I was out of the woods but that problem of sections disappearing as returned. Aaaaaaah!
I have completed the blending and realise that I missed out some cutouts in the body of the model.
There are 4 cutouts. I have overcome the 2 lower ones by removing a rectangular shape and plugging it with an extruded section. The cutout then comes out of the replaced part.
The top 2 cutouts however are on a curved section so the same technique won't work. It's the yellow part that has to be removed.
Is there a way to trim the yellow part flush to the curved surface it is intersecting?
workshopswarf attached the following image(s):
Capture 2 cutout.PNG (70kb) downloaded 6 time(s).

jol  
#27 Posted : Monday, April 7, 2014 7:44:54 AM(UTC)
jol

have you tried 'match face' ?
workshopswarf  
#28 Posted : Monday, April 7, 2014 2:38:24 PM(UTC)
workshopswarf

I had not tried that tool before but the surface I need to match to is made up of 2 surfaces blended together and the selection tool will only allow me select one or the other.
jol  
#29 Posted : Monday, April 7, 2014 3:11:42 PM(UTC)
jol

then you may need to split the yellow too ?
NickB  
#30 Posted : Monday, April 7, 2014 4:25:45 PM(UTC)
NickB

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
The "Remove Feature" (same palette as "Match Face") tool is a very handy for de-featuring or removing features and does an incredibly good (meaning clean) job of it.
Shark FX 9 build 1143
OS X 9.5
3.6 GHz Core i7, 8GB, GTX 760 2GB

matter.cc
workshopswarf  
#31 Posted : Tuesday, April 8, 2014 1:13:38 AM(UTC)
workshopswarf

There is no remove feature tool in my v8 ViaCad.
billbedford  
#32 Posted : Tuesday, April 8, 2014 4:08:39 AM(UTC)
billbedford

If I have understood [URL="http://resilientmodeling.com"]this site[/URL] correctly, blending takes up more memory than other processes. They advise that you first build your model's solid structure, add webs and supports and then holes. The blends are added as the final additions to the model.

It is worth spending a couple of hours going through one of the sets of videos. None of them are directly applicable to ViaCAD/Shark but the should;d give you an insight into how to construct more robust models.
workshopswarf  
#33 Posted : Tuesday, April 8, 2014 9:38:44 AM(UTC)
workshopswarf

The thing is Bill. I forgot to add these 4 cutout and only realised after blending.
It should be possible to this but I have had this problem which I outlined at the beginning of the thread where parts of the model are disappearing when adding holes and blending.
I was hoping Tim was going to comment.
What I need to do is now is remove the 2 yellow solids to leave a holes in the large object. Use of remove solid tool removes it but turns the surface into a sheet edge, I think that is the correct description, forgive me if I have the wrong terminology.
I have included the file if anyone cares to look.
[URL="https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/94722117/AERMOTOR%20BLOCK%2008%20block%20complete%20cutouts%20to%20remove.vc3"]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/94722117/AERMOTOR%20BLOCK%2008%20block%20complete%20cutouts%20to%20remove.vc3[/URL]
You can see also if the object is rotated there is a problem around the bush above the right hand yellow object where the blending has made the area see though.
jol  
#34 Posted : Tuesday, April 8, 2014 2:21:35 PM(UTC)
jol

David - looking around your model - I can see any number of dubious intersections. Any one or several of these could be invalidating your model.

You need clean geometry - and whilst you probably think starting again would be a huge pain in the ass - I would almost always construct a second time in a fraction of the time - to a far cleaner solution - as a matter of course.

Such a geometric part should be fairly easily rationalised into primary and secondary solids, unioned and subtracted - in logical order - to construct the mass you need.

Always save multiple versions as you go - so it's easy to flip back an hour or so - and try a different approach.

Then, as Bill suggested, blends always come last - and 'blend order' is important too. Again prioritise - what is your primary fillet ... and what runs into it ... and into that ... and so on.

Always always - before you start blending - save your model as 'xxx_pre-blend.vcd'. I can guarantee you will always need this raw state again.

Logic in your construction - just as if you were building it in the workshop - will lead you to a clean part (sans fillets) - that you'll then be able to adjust any detail you like at will.

Sorry - I don't want to put you on a downer - but I'd recommend taking what you've learned here ... and starting afresh - to produce a super-clean solid - validating as you go so as to avoid compounded issues.

Hope that helps,

If not - send your complaints / sense of morbid disappointment / death threats to Bill

: )

Jol
workshopswarf  
#35 Posted : Wednesday, April 9, 2014 4:13:44 AM(UTC)
workshopswarf

Thank Jol.
I have learnt as I went along and can surely do better next time.
I am prepared to have another go, I don't give up easily.
I have been saving as you suggest and can go back to very early stages but I think start again might be the answer as I don't know where I went wrong. I was able to resolve the fist issue by going back a few steps.
Tim Olson  
#36 Posted : Wednesday, April 9, 2014 10:10:42 AM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 499 time(s) in 353 post(s)
Hi David

I spent several hours yesterday attempting to repair this file. I've got some new repair tools coming in PowerPack I wanted to test. Unfortunately I tried all my bag of tricks and could not repair this part. There are some overlapping faces that cause problems when repairing. As Jol suggested, you may want to every once in a while validate your part with Verify:Check Object.

If you find an operation that repeatedly raises issues in Verify:Check Object, let me know.

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
workshopswarf  
#37 Posted : Wednesday, April 9, 2014 10:58:40 AM(UTC)
workshopswarf

Hi Tim, Thank you for your trouble.
So Check object will highlight errors if I check as I go along.
I will use it often as you suggest. If an error shows can it be located or is it easier to just go back to a previously saved version?
Tim Olson  
#38 Posted : Wednesday, April 9, 2014 12:06:42 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 499 time(s) in 353 post(s)
>>So Check object will highlight errors if I check as I go along.
Yes, it is the first thing I do when I have a modeling problem. This is a very rigorous check of geometry and topology.

>>If an error shows can it be located or is it easier to just go back to a
Check Object will often show a vertex location. You can write down the values and create a Point entity to isolate the area.

Attached is an image of potential problem areas in your part. There are three solids that are overlapped into the solid. This may cause solid modeling operations to fail as it does not form a unique closed volume. Plus there appears to be a blend issue where the two "+" symbols are located.

Tim
Tim Olson attached the following image(s):
repair.png (208kb) downloaded 6 time(s).

Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
workshopswarf  
#39 Posted : Wednesday, April 9, 2014 2:49:30 PM(UTC)
workshopswarf

Thank you for your help Tim.
workshopswarf  
#40 Posted : Thursday, April 10, 2014 7:16:08 AM(UTC)
workshopswarf

Originally Posted by: billbedford Go to Quoted Post
If I have understood [URL="http://resilientmodeling.com"]this site[/URL] correctly, blending takes up more memory than other processes. They advise that you first build your model's solid structure, add webs and supports and then holes. The blends are added as the final additions to the model.

It is worth spending a couple of hours going through one of the sets of videos. None of them are directly applicable to ViaCAD/Shark but the should;d give you an insight into how to construct more robust models.

Hi Bill,
I had a look at the videos and they were very helpful. Thanks for the link.