logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MartinWill28  
#1 Posted : Friday, March 30, 2012 12:30:06 AM(UTC)
MartinWill28

I'm having difficulty designing a tray in 3D for a game (see the vc3 file image.) Here are the details.
The tray is 12.0" x 12.0" outer dimensions. It has a thickness of 0.125", over most of the area. There is a rim around the tray edge (inside the edge) that is 0.500" wide and 0.375" high above the top surface of the tray leaving an area inside the tray rim that is 11" x 11". At the center of the tray is a square tile that is part of the tray, 1" x 1" x 0.375" high. That was the easy part, I built it by making a block for the base, and adding four blocks to the top of the base to define the tray edges (would be nice to know how to miter them but that's not important since the entire tray is one piece of plastic.

The hard part is as follows. I want to have a raised grid inside the tray at each 1" in both directions, with a 45 degree triangular section, 1/32" width and 1/64" height (intersecting points would be chamfered in both directions.)

Because these triangular sections don't seem to be made by any of the primitives - I tried the slab tool but couldn't make it work, I need to know how to create this grid on the top surface of the inside of the tray.

What will fit in the tray are a collection of individual square tiles roughly 1" x 1" x 3/8" high (but a little smaller so that they fit loosely) with a 45 deg. chamfer on all edges that takes off 1/64" from each edge. Each of these square tiles has a hole in its center slightly larger than 0.125" for clearance, that includes a helical cam which mates with the stem of a player's piece. I'm still trying to find out how to create that detail.

Once I have the grid inside the tray, how do I go from there to a finished 3D drawing - mine is gray and you can still see the pieces that make it up, not like the polished blue appearance of the solids in the tutorials etc. The video tutorials help, but they go too fast and don't seem to address the issues I'm having. I can't get help by typing a word into help search box - it doesn't respond with a list of items. I don't know why this doesn't work. Is this a bug? How can I zoom in the the point I want to start one of these grid lines and then zoom out to pan to the opposite end and finish the grid line? - the lien is 11" long but only 1/32" wide and 1/64" high. And how can I manage the intersections of the left-right and front-back lines? I'm really baffled by this program and the lack of useful help.

Any help by someone who can walk me through the process would be GREATLY appreciated!
File Attachment(s):
Tray11x11_02.vc3 (41kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Claus  
#2 Posted : Saturday, March 31, 2012 6:56:17 AM(UTC)
Claus

Denmark

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 27 post(s)
Hi Martin,

let me start by saying that this program is absolutely great and it will let you create almost anything. Fast and with precision. I've been using it for many years for hours every day.

However owning a pencil will not make you draw, you have to learn and it takes time. In the beginning I was frustrated and posted cries for help in this forum. The answers I got was: Be patient and get to know the program. Read the manual and try out every single tool by repeating the instructions in the manual until you fully understand how they work. This is a really annoying answer to get, I know.

I don't quite understand what you are trying to model but I looked at your file and first of all you did not join the blocks that make up your tray (use the add solid tool to join all the parts to make a single object).

If you want to make triangular walls in the bottom of the tray I suggest you start by making a triangular profile and extrude it, then duplicate it and distribute it evenly across the surface, then use the add solid tool to join it to the tray.

Remember that this is a solid modeling program and you create stuff by joining solid geometries or subtracting them. Good luck with learning, it's not as complicated as it seems right now.

Claus