logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
G2Art  
#1 Posted : Friday, March 21, 2014 7:08:21 AM(UTC)
G2Art

Hi,

Can the Gripper stay User Positioned and not keep reverting to Center of Selected?

Perhaps the Gripper's settings could be added to Preferences in the future.
rockyroad_us  
#2 Posted : Friday, March 21, 2014 1:38:36 PM(UTC)
rockyroad_us

Man
United States

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 46 post(s)
you can attach it to your desired location by going to the gripper settings select "user positioned" versus center positioned.

I know you can't start the program at that setting that I'm aware but you get set it yourself per file.
FX 7-FXPro14-1650
MacPro 11.7.4
2x2.8GHz Quad Xeon 32GB
NVIDIA 4 K5000 4GB
Work
G2Art  
#3 Posted : Friday, March 21, 2014 3:24:29 PM(UTC)
G2Art

Thank you for your reply but that is precisely my question: can I make the "user positioned" setting the default setting.

It is a nuisance - the Gripper keeps reverting to "center of selected" every time I reactivate it. A bore.

If anything I think it should default to "user positioned" by default in the software. Who grabs a part by some arbitrary "center of selected" point anyway?
rockyroad_us  
#4 Posted : Friday, March 21, 2014 4:50:10 PM(UTC)
rockyroad_us

Man
United States

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 46 post(s)
No sure what you mean "reactivated". Did you mean selected? That's the default setting. You can assign your own origin as far as I know. If you follow the other topic you can see a picture. See.
http://forum.punchcad.com/showthread.php?t=5048

you can set the origin by hitting that button.

I don't think you can set it as default as the program needs an input from you as to where to set the origin in space.
FX 7-FXPro14-1650
MacPro 11.7.4
2x2.8GHz Quad Xeon 32GB
NVIDIA 4 K5000 4GB
Work
G2Art  
#5 Posted : Monday, March 24, 2014 5:32:27 PM(UTC)
G2Art

Thank you for your reply.
By reactivated I mean enabled. I noticed it stays "user positioned" at least in the same session. As far as setting origin - that seems somewhat redundant as it is easy to drag the gripper in the "user positioned" mode to a vertex, etc. I'd vote for eliminating all redundancies and stay minimalist for clarity.
I think the gripper could (and should) default to "user postioned" in spite of the objection you mention. After all, the "user positioned" option needs to be selected before the origin is set.