logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
nanoplane  
#1 Posted : Saturday, September 29, 2012 11:08:16 AM(UTC)
nanoplane

I'm on MacOS 10.8.2 and photo rendering just doesn't seem to work. I just get a Black shape on the resulting screen, no detail, no reflections, no color, just black...

What Might I be doing wrong??
jol  
#2 Posted : Saturday, September 29, 2012 2:20:02 PM(UTC)
jol

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Check your monitor's on first - sorry !

Hmm

Not sure - can you go back to the simplest scenario - restart the app, draw a sphere and render - will it give you a result then ?
nanoplane  
#3 Posted : Saturday, September 29, 2012 4:21:46 PM(UTC)
nanoplane

:-).. monitor is on..

Going back to basics.. if all I do is create a sphere, I get somewhat reasonable but unexpected results...
"User Specified" render's the sphere in the color I selected and for the most part, some of the attributes make sense.

Metal, Plastic, Glass and Mirror give unexpected results..

Metal comes out as a gold color, seems to be reflecting some image that I haven't defined anywhere I can tell. (checked the render settings, foreground and background set as none)

Glass renders as a black sphere with no detail

Plastic renders as an almost black sphere with some evidence of reflection of that same image as metal.

Mirror gives me a render similar to Metal.

Sketch is just weird. Sphere is solid color, no highlights .

And....
If I add another body to the drawing (say a cylindrical pedestal for the Sphere), That second body comes out black in all views except metal and mirror.
jol  
#4 Posted : Saturday, September 29, 2012 5:39:51 PM(UTC)
jol

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I suspect things are different in ViaCAD - I'm using Shark and seem to get better results than you.

These used to be called 'Rapid-render Presets' - a name that explained well what they did

Now they have no name except for "Glass" - it makes it look like this is all you can do with this renderer - which I assure you is not the case.

If you want better results, don't use the presets - as they are just quick and dirty and they give you what they give you. You need to fish around for a texture from the texture library - then adjust that to your needs, add and environment - add lights etc ... just as you would in a studio.

The rendering engine is Lightworks (http://www.lightworkdesign.com/index.html) - which is good - though there do seem to be better renderers around these days.

The interface however is all Punch! - and was ok 10 years ago - but not now.
nanoplane  
#5 Posted : Saturday, September 29, 2012 6:05:05 PM(UTC)
nanoplane

It does seem to be really flaky... even rendering only a sphere, when you assign a textured surface of one color, photo rendering changes the color.

Just doesn't seem to work at all for anything complex... except in the video, of course :-).. but that's on a PC, not a Mac.
LLoydSp  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, October 2, 2012 6:53:19 AM(UTC)
LLoydSp

Viacad Pro V7

I have several metals in my model, with photo-render materials from the library applied to individual parts.

However, when I render with "metal", everything turns out shiny brassy gold.

When I render "plastic", everything comes out with the "inspector" colors for the drawing objects, and not the materials I've applied from the render library.

There must be a way to make individual metal parts look as if they're different materials, but still keep the 'metal' textures and colors.

I know one can use the "user defined" rendering button to get the colors assigned from the Rendering Library, but so far, I have not found colors or finishes that match the 'look' of the pre-defined settings in the rendering pallet.

A second problem, which has just cropped up after a year of using -- when I photo-render now, it hangs up after pass 1/2, and will not "finish" unless I press ESC. It finishes if rendering to file, but not if rendering to the screen (in any mode, fenced or not).

Any clues here?

Help??

LLoyd