logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
zumer  
#1 Posted : Friday, March 2, 2012 8:09:22 PM(UTC)
zumer

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I've got a 10" MSI win7 tablet that's got a piddling little 1.0GHz dual core, 2Gb RAM and a 32Gb SSD. It's not as smooth to use for media as my wife's iPad, and the 16:10 aspect means it's not as well-balanced, either, and its battery only keeps up for 4.5-5 hours, although I've got a 66Wh pocketable (theoretically. It pulls my trousers down, so it's really fanny packable or courier satchelable) backup charger. But it's capable of running desktop apps while being lugged on-site, and I've been using it with TurboCAD. That's been frustrating because TC's UI isn't great for touch-screens. I'd tried Autodesk's 123D on the tab too, with mixed results. The navigation cube is good with a touch UI, but it's a real-time direct edit app, with a 2GHz recommended minimum, so with a 1GHz CPU, real time is real sloooow.
Now I've transferred Shark V7 on to the tab, and what a revelation! I don't use it with a mouse, but the Navigator is exactly the right thing for touch, roll-out-and-tear-off toolbars are SO fluid, and, at least with the relatively lightweight files I've been using, it's all happening pretty crisply. If I can get this tab to hear Keith K's speech recognition macros, it'll rock harder yet.
Kudos, Tim. This interface really is a natural for tablets. You iOS guys don't know what you're missing out on - apart from Flash.
zumer  
#2 Posted : Monday, March 5, 2012 9:11:10 PM(UTC)
zumer

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Tim, if you ever decide to get serious about Punch/Encore on tabs, first order of business is to have a cursor focus that isn't covered by a big fat fingertip. There's an Android app called AutoQ3D that has one. The video's here: https://market.android.com/detai...3D&feature=search_result There's a square that you push around with fingertip, it has an "antenna". The antenna's tip, away from the finger, is the cursor focus. Then you need multi-touch on the surface to pick up gestures that equate to mouse buttons. Maybe push the cursor with middle finger, and have left/right fingerpads following the middle finger too?