logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
zumer  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, September 19, 2012 11:51:22 PM(UTC)
zumer

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
This isn't working as I think it ought to. I've created a surface that's the side of a kayak hull. I've extruded the surface, linked-mirrored the extruded solid across the centreline, and intersected the two solids. I've used linked-mirror because I want an edit of the surface or its generating profiles to propagate to the other side of the solid. Using the concept explorer, I can edit the surface by deleting one of the generating splines, for example. But, when I try the same operation through the concept explorer on the child solid, it gives a "can't do that" message "intersection vertex with bad or no attributes:intersection (object ID)" and degenerates the solid. If it's an intersection product of an option mirror instead of a linked-mirror solid, it'll remove the curve, but the change is only propagated through the initial surface and the extrusion solid, not its mirror ie one side only. Created in VC 7, but I've tried it in FX 8 with the same result. How much associativity is too much? I think it ought to work through the linked mirror.
File Attachment(s):
kayak profiles intersect.vc3 (404kb) downloaded 5 time(s).
zumer attached the following image(s):
wishful thinking or not.jpg (61kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
zumer  
#2 Posted : Thursday, September 20, 2012 7:52:53 PM(UTC)
zumer

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I tried a different tack, extruding the face outwards from the centreline, linked-mirroring the extruded solid, and subtracting solid and copy from a block primitive. Using that method, edits to the splines do carry through to both sides of the solid. There's additional work in the primitive that's being subtracted from, but not too onerous.
zumer attached the following image(s):
bilateral symmetry from unilateral edit.jpg (38kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.