logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
zumer  
#1 Posted : Monday, September 14, 2009 8:10:15 PM(UTC)
zumer

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
There's a bit of attention being paid to direct editing programs currently, with SpaceClaim, NX, CoCreate and others touting it as an alternative or adjunct to history-based modeling. I've been sampling CoCreate PE and found it quite difficult to get my head around. I'm glad it isn't time-limited, 'cos I think it's going to take me a while, despite the vendors implying that a mountain gorilla could learn it between bananas. But I've also been sampling another thing that's been around for quite some time - a program called Pilot3D. It spun out of a maritime program called ProSurf, and doesn't have that program's hydrostatics or other marine aspects, it concentrates purely on surfacing. It does polysurfaces with mixed offsets/thicknesses, and creates primitive solids that are watertight collections of associative surfaces. It exports them as IGES solids that are accepted as ACIS solids in VC. The interface is olde worlde, but the functionality is neat. It doesn't have feature recognition, which is what CoCreate and SpaceClaim use to advantage, but as a sampler for direct editing, it's a lot of fun. It's only USD 70, and if you can't justify that for fun (that's the cost of a lot of PS and Xbox games!), it's also got some good plate/sheet development ability. Worth a look, though Windows.
ZeroLengthCurve  
#2 Posted : Monday, September 14, 2009 11:18:20 PM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Thanks for the info! I will check out the surfacing aspects. But, the more i use ViaCAD, the more i cannot see how i could ever listen to anybody suggesting i dump VC in favor of ac. i this weeken tried just to see what level of agitation i could pu up with. ac was off and shut down after about 10 minutes. VC foq me.
ShawnDriscoll  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, September 15, 2009 4:33:13 AM(UTC)
ShawnDriscoll

Interesting program, that Pilot3D. I just got ViaCAD Pro 6 and am liking some of it features more than my old Amapi Pro I used for NURBS. But VCP was pretty cheap already on Amazon.
Steve.M  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, September 15, 2009 6:25:14 AM(UTC)
Steve.M

Originally Posted by: ShawnDriscoll Go to Quoted Post
But VCP was pretty cheap already on Amazon.

You can get VC and shark a lot cheaper than you can directly from Punch.

I was sent a link for shark LT, being sold at half price http://www.nothingbutsoftware.c...e_page/ProductCode/85685

I find those offers a little strange, as Tim (and others) put forward that the price of shark is at its lowest (as from the punch web sales) due to the need to pay license (for Acis etc), yet Punch must be selling to such 3rd party as shown in the above link and still making money, and the 3rd party sales are not going to sell at a loss
Steve.M  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, September 15, 2009 6:28:51 AM(UTC)
Steve.M

Originally Posted by: zumer Go to Quoted Post
I've been sampling CoCreate PE

I was going to have a look, but noticed (after taking a quick look around their forum) that the program needs to connect out to their servers every time it is started. For a free program, that is over the top for me.
zumer  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, September 15, 2009 8:13:01 AM(UTC)
zumer

Originally Posted by: Steve.M Go to Quoted Post
I was going to have a look, but noticed (after taking a quick look around their forum) that the program needs to connect out to their servers every time it is started. For a free program, that is over the top for me.

It's a teaser. It doesn't need to connect every time, but if it's taken off life support, it'll stop working after three days. The thing that is the biggest turnoff is that it takes a bloody age to load. Like two minutes. Maybe my ponderous laptop, but I'm not that patient, unless it's coffee time. Output is limited to facet formats, VRML and some other.