logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
macnavi  
#1 Posted : Sunday, December 16, 2012 3:24:26 PM(UTC)
macnavi

Netherlands

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Now my 3D design is finally ready to be printed, I noticed something really curious: groups are just not exported, just missing from the design. When testing this, even creating three solids, of which I group the first two, only the third solid is exported in the STL file.

Now this is annoying, but wouldn't be a problem if you could select all and then choose 'ungroup'. I have about 155 groups in my design and when I 'select all' and then choose 'ungroup', it brings a message up for every group (so times 155...) that ungrouping will delete dependent object, i.e. delete the actual group. It doesn't show you where the groups are. I can see the group count, but not the location on the design. Only by selecting a single group, you can ungroup it without losing it.

What to do to export the complete design?
My model steam trams at Tramfabriek.nl

Mac OS X El Capitan 10.12.5 - VC Pro v12
zumer  
#2 Posted : Sunday, December 16, 2012 7:26:39 PM(UTC)
zumer

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Stl was never intended as an administrative format. It's a facet approximation geometry description with no provision for groups, blocks or any other meta-property. You'd be better off selecting individual groups, export each "selected only" to separate files (new name), then isolate the objects you want to print that way.
macnavi  
#3 Posted : Sunday, December 16, 2012 11:35:19 PM(UTC)
macnavi

Netherlands

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Thanks for the answer. I think I was not clear enough. I need to export everything in one file. It doesn't export the parts of the design that are in a group, therefor I need to identify the groups and Ungroup them. As I can't select all and Ungroup them, as it will delete the contents of the group, how do I identify the groups without having manually to click everywhere to see if there are any groups? My design is quite complicated.

Next time I'll put everything on a individual layer, not in groups.
My model steam trams at Tramfabriek.nl

Mac OS X El Capitan 10.12.5 - VC Pro v12