logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
m.marino  
#1 Posted : Friday, December 9, 2011 5:26:55 AM(UTC)
m.marino

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hello Folks,

Back when ViaCAD 2D/3Dv8 was in prerelease I bought a seat on the word of a few other folks that have used it. Started working with it and liked what I was getting as far as models to set up for CNC work on a gantry router.

Then End of August comes the need for some maintenance on said machine due to so problems that where cropping up. Well to make a long story short that machine has been sold due to not meeting my requirements any more after a very hefty servicing and parts replacement. So I have a problem, no Mill (gantry router) to cut my parts and I need that to make the precession parts that I sell to clients.

Solution is starting in ViaCAD 2D/3D v8 and using that and Shark FX Beta v8 and with the help of a more experienced CNC builder/user started designing the new machine. Which looks like this:

[ATTACH]4158[/ATTACH]

With the help of the same fellow CNC builder it is coming into reality as this:

[ATTACH]4160[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]4159[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]4162[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]4161[/ATTACH]

As you can see it is coming along nicely and we are able to extract the pieces directly from ViaCAD/Shark with only having to make minor changes to them before cutting them out. They still need some drilling and tapping so that everything can go together and I did not put the bolts into the working model as we both considered that over kill at the time.

If anyone would like a copy of this for making their own CNC Gantry router you are more than welcome to contact me. I will post some additional pictures if there is interest when the machine is closer to completion and once complete.

For anyone who is interested in it's size the profile that the ball screws are mounted to is 1.1m long and it will have a cutting area of 860mm by 360mm by 175mm (minus bed thickness).

Thanks Tim and Co. for a program that does what it is meant to and for fixing faults we find.

Michael Marino, DC
Owner Free Reed Foolery
m.marino attached the following image(s):
IMAG0122.jpg (190kb) downloaded 8 time(s).
IMAG0121.jpg (120kb) downloaded 10 time(s).
New Gantry Model.jpg (26kb) downloaded 19 time(s).
IMAG0108.jpg (217kb) downloaded 11 time(s).
IMAG0107.jpg (220kb) downloaded 9 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
SharkCAD Pro v10 w/ PowerPack Pro
Lenovo D20 2x E5620 w/ 64GB RAM, Nvidia 1060
MM0MSU

L. Banasky  
#2 Posted : Friday, December 9, 2011 10:02:38 AM(UTC)
L. Banasky

Was thanked: 139 time(s) in 99 post(s)
Very nice Michael,
What material and thickness do you usually cut? I would very much enjoy seeing some more pictures. Thanks for sharing.
Larry
mikeschn  
#3 Posted : Friday, December 9, 2011 3:05:30 PM(UTC)
mikeschn

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Yep, I second the additional pictures.

Nice looking leadscrews too!

Mike...
ViaCAD Pro 12 on Windows; Viacad Pro 14 on Mac
unique  
#4 Posted : Friday, December 9, 2011 5:47:35 PM(UTC)
unique

Originally Posted by: m.marino Go to Quoted Post

If anyone would like a copy of this for making their own CNC Gantry router you are more than welcome to contact me. I will post some additional pictures if there is interest when the machine is closer to completion and once complete.

Michael Marino, DC
Owner Free Reed Foolery

Hello Michael

I would certainly like the model to see how it was built...looks very good to me!

What part Scotland....not Glasgow by any chance?
m.marino  
#5 Posted : Monday, December 19, 2011 9:44:04 AM(UTC)
m.marino

Man
United Kingdom

No I am in Edinburgh though hopefully will be moving to the Glasgow area in the next year. Here are a few pictures of the Z axis (the ball screw pictured is not the one used and a few items where changed during production). [ATTACH]4169[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]4170[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]4171[/ATTACH]

The Aluminium is 3/4" (19.05mm) or 1/2" (12.25mm) thick plate the extrusion is ITEM extrusion and is recycled from machine tear downs (reason for not being new looking). The ball screws are rolled (ground is better just outside the budget currently). The precession profile rail is ABBA 20mm and there is a wide range of quality in that area. The rest of the ball screws arrived last week and right now all that is going on is finish work and getting ready for the machine to be moved up here where I am (Edinburgh).

Hope that help folks and will post more as I get them and will also post some video once it is up and cutting.

Michael
IMAG0136.jpg (430kb) downloaded 7 time(s).
IMAG0141.jpg (269kb) downloaded 7 time(s).
IMAG0148.jpg (265kb) downloaded 7 time(s).

MM0MSU

m.marino  
#6 Posted : Monday, December 19, 2011 9:48:27 AM(UTC)
m.marino

Man
United Kingdom

PS the 1mm gap you see between the back plate and the Z motor mount is to to forgetting to take the 1mm off the support beam to allow for the index edge and is being corrected. As an aside you will noticed we indexed as much as possible so that there is very exact positioning of the pieces for fit and there for maintaining the accuracy throughout.

Michael
MM0MSU

m.marino  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, January 4, 2012 5:27:53 PM(UTC)
m.marino

Man
United Kingdom

Well work is progressing and after a serious case of things going not right we are back on track. The photo's here are of the machine as being assembled. All parts have bee trued and squared in the assembly process. It is going to be a whole lot of fun to get cutting once it is finished and up here.
[ATTACH]4181[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]4182[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]4183[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]4184[/ATTACH]

As you can see we have had to make some minor changes and one is due to not being exact with instruction to the company I ordered the ball screw from. Live learn and drive on. Also The gentleman I am working with on this is going to be recutting the top y carriage plate to allow for very exact truing of the Z axis in the vertical.

One nice thing is the wife (she who does the companies books) has cleared the purchase of Shark FX once I have the funds from the work this machine is going to be doing. That is nice as really enjoying beta testing the software.

Michael
File Attachment(s):
IMAG0185.jpg (519kb) downloaded 13 time(s).
IMAG0189.jpg (513kb) downloaded 9 time(s).
IMAG0190.jpg (545kb) downloaded 9 time(s).
IMAG0186.jpg (480kb) downloaded 9 time(s).

MM0MSU

m.marino  
#8 Posted : Monday, January 9, 2012 5:31:24 AM(UTC)
m.marino

Man
United Kingdom

Well folks we are on the home stretch as there is only 2 plates left to cut and 2 adapters we are going to have to make due to the afore mentioned problem with the ball screws lengths. The pulleys are being ordered for the Y and Z axi' as well as the belts. Home and limit switches are going to be set up as pairs with Mach3 (which allows for one set of switches to be used for both functions.

A bit about the Machine:

X axis is 25 mm supported round rail
Y axis is 16 mm supported round rail
Z axis is 20 mm profile rail from ABBA

Ball screws are rolled (will be upgrading to ground when I can afford it).

The Bed that you see in some pictures is 15 mm HDPE. I will be using either HDPE or UHMWPE as the bedding for multiple reasons. The greatest being that once trued it will remain true, another being the ability to drill and tap into if need be for a point to clamp a project with.

And here are some really nice pictures of it at present:

[ATTACH]4191[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]4192[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]4193[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]4194[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]4195[/ATTACH]

Well I hope folks are enjoying the project so far and hopefully the next pictures will be of it fully assembled and once it is up here and bedded in I will also (with Tim permission) put a link to some video of the machine cutting.

Michael
File Attachment(s):
IMAG0207.jpg (507kb) downloaded 7 time(s).
IMAG0203.jpg (276kb) downloaded 7 time(s).
IMAG0204.jpg (454kb) downloaded 8 time(s).
IMAG0210.jpg (287kb) downloaded 7 time(s).
IMAG0216.jpg (282kb) downloaded 7 time(s).

MM0MSU

Tim Olson  
#9 Posted : Monday, January 9, 2012 3:59:23 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 498 time(s) in 352 post(s)
Michael

Great stuff, many thanks for sharing!

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
chrisjk  
#10 Posted : Thursday, February 2, 2012 12:14:04 PM(UTC)
chrisjk

Michael, I like your project! Especially since I am a biker and seeing your stuff in the background makes me feel right at home..

I am trying out the demo version of Shark FX with the idea of using it amongst other things for producing models suitable for use with a benchtop CNC milling machine. Also, I am a woodworker making furniture and have occasionally contemplated a CNC router but have shied away from it - mainly because my workshop lacks space.

I shall be really interested to see how your machine develops.
m.marino  
#11 Posted : Friday, February 10, 2012 3:40:15 AM(UTC)
m.marino

Man
United Kingdom

Chris,

We are moving along after some minor set backs (tool breakage, and other sundry problems) and should have the machine up here shortly for me to start working with it. The Pulleys are in place on the Y and Z axis now and it is to the stage of the little things getting done. I will be modifying the model to show all that has been done to it and also completing it in the form it should have been (see ball-screw issues there).

Space is an issue with these beasties when you get into serious usage as mine takes up a footprint of 1200mm (47")L x 750mm (30")W of which 680mm of the width must be on supported surface. Also it is 750mm tall which can in someplace in a shop make for problems (near a wall with shelves).

That is the shop of the guy that is building it for me as I don't have the equipment to mill aluminium at present (this machine solves that issue). Please keep watching and will post the final pictures and a link to youtube when it is here and up and running.

It will also allow me to post a huge amount of products that I have designed in ViaCAD 2D3D v8.

Michael
MM0MSU

m.marino  
#12 Posted : Friday, March 9, 2012 5:49:52 AM(UTC)
m.marino

Man
United Kingdom

Hello,

Been very very busy. The gantry Router is up and running and building parts for itself at the moment. The parts currently be cut are the brackets for the home switches that are not shown on the drawings/Model and are a lesson for me in placing everything on the model before going to final design and cutting.

To Chris, If you are doing a lot of high detail or repetitive cutting work then a CNC Gantry Router is what you are looking for. The problem being that a good number of the ones out there are either very expensive or often cut corners (unsupported round rail being a common corner cut). If you want help in designing one for your use let me know and will be glad to help. Hope you folks enjoy the videos.

Video links : [URL="http://youtu.be/ZTP7schNY"]http://youtu.be/ZTP7schNY [/URL]
[URL="http://youtu.be/bxH6B8lXTjw"]http://youtu.be/bxH6B8lXTjw[/URL]
[URL="http://youtu.be/wO1KkYz9oOU"]http://youtu.be/wO1KkYz9oOU[/URL]

There are additional videos there and if anyone would like pictures let me know but will limit those as have used a good bit already.

Tim Thanks for wonderful Software. It has made my work so much easier and the export STL has allowed me to easily integrate both CamBam and DeskProto
, so that g-code generation is now less then half of what it was with the other software I was using. Please let the rest of the team know my thanks as well.

Michael
MM0MSU

m.marino  
#13 Posted : Thursday, June 28, 2012 5:09:01 PM(UTC)
m.marino

Man
United Kingdom

Well a bit of a follow up on my machine.

Some points that you might want to think about if you design your own:

1) Include electrical pathways in your design structure (the moving parts most importantly)
2) Include the space or access for all lubrication points.

3) Know what your plans are for use and build about 20% beyond that.

Currently I have upgraded to 4 AM882 Leadshine drivers and can get up to 10.5m/min velocity with 2m/sec^2 acceleration with very exact repeatability on the X axis, 8m/min same acceleration on Y and 2.5m/min Velocity with same acceleration on Z (considering z only travels max of 160mm, that is fast). Some of my lubrication points are a pain to get to and I am working on fixing that.

Hope this helps folks thinking in this area as ViaCAD really has helped in design and prep for building.
MM0MSU

ttrw  
#14 Posted : Friday, June 29, 2012 4:27:09 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Fabulous design Michael! Very interesting indeed (I have "want"!). :)

And all done in Viacad 2D/3D?! VC's a brilliant CAD program. I've just finished a handful of designs that have been opened up in Solidworks, and the engineer on the other end thought my models had been made in Solidworks! When you consider SW's costs more than 5k and Viacad less than 100, that's pretty amazing?

Thanks again for sharing. :)
blowlamp  
#15 Posted : Friday, June 29, 2012 5:44:50 AM(UTC)
blowlamp

Originally Posted by: ttrw Go to Quoted Post
Fabulous design Michael! Very interesting indeed (I have "want"!). :)

And all done in Viacad 2D/3D?! VC's a brilliant CAD program. I've just finished a handful of designs that have been opened up in Solidworks, and the engineer on the other end thought my models had been made in Solidworks! When you consider SW's costs more than 5k and Viacad less than 100, that's pretty amazing?

Thanks again for sharing. :)

Yeah, too true, Tom.
I'd be more than a little worried if I had to justify the price gulf between the two.
You'd probably need a banker to explain that one :D

Martin.
m.marino  
#16 Posted : Friday, September 21, 2012 6:53:41 AM(UTC)
m.marino

Man
United Kingdom

I will be trying to get some more pictures up and a few link to video once I do some more of it (keep forgetting to when I am doing cutting). I also just got done designing a mountable clamp for my mill so that I can hold chromatic harmonica combs and mill into the narrow face on the side that the mouth piece attaches to.

ViaCAD has done me well and will most likely upgrade to Pro v8 once it is out. Yeah I understand the SW problem as they keep wanting me to buy and being the owner of the company I can't really find a reason to buy it. Between ViaCAD, CamBam (CAM software I use that is very dependable) and Mach3 (will be upgrading to 4 once it come out); I can produce quality items at a fraction of the cost that going with the mainstream industrial standards cost (which must be figured in to cost of business).

Keep up the good work Tim and crew, your product does help people build their goals.

Michael
MM0MSU