logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
m.marino  
#1 Posted : Monday, August 8, 2011 3:01:56 PM(UTC)
m.marino

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hello folks, new here and using 2D3Dv8 on an AMD chipset with 4G of RAM. I am doing line work in 3D and having problem with the fill working and not working at times. Also generating fill zones that are not connected by any lie or direct parent child link. Will post a copy of the 3D line drawing.

I have gone through the manual 3 times and still no joy and noted that at times it will fill normal (click inside a closed area and you get a nice fill) other times it will only fill after clicking on which lines are involved in that surface. Last two are either skipping lines when doing a fill or generating an area as stated above, which have no direct or from what I can find indirect link and creating a fill.

Thanks for the help and so far am finding it a very useful program. Better then some other CAD software I have used. Just need to get this fixed as this is part of my business and need to be able to ship these models for CAM work and g-code creation.

Thanks,

Michael
File Attachment(s):
270 Pro Comb.vc3 (64kb) downloaded 6 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
SharkCAD Pro v10 w/ PowerPack Pro
Lenovo D20 2x E5620 w/ 64GB RAM, Nvidia 1060
MM0MSU

blowlamp  
#2 Posted : Monday, August 8, 2011 3:40:03 PM(UTC)
blowlamp

Could you tell us a bit more about what you're trying to achieve with ViaCAD and why you need to use the fill tool?

I do quite a bit of CNC work and never need to use the fill tool.

For some reason your file really slows my system down and even crashed the Shark beta I'm trying.

Martin.
jdi000  
#3 Posted : Monday, August 8, 2011 6:46:41 PM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 81 post(s)
Originally Posted by: m.marino Go to Quoted Post
Hello folks, new here and using 2D3Dv8 on an AMD chipset with 4G of RAM. I am doing line work in 3D and having problem with the fill working and not working at times. Also generating fill zones that are not connected by any lie or direct parent child link. Will post a copy of the 3D line drawing.

I have gone through the manual 3 times and still no joy and noted that at times it will fill normal (click inside a closed area and you get a nice fill) other times it will only fill after clicking on which lines are involved in that surface. Last two are either skipping lines when doing a fill or generating an area as stated above, which have no direct or from what I can find indirect link and creating a fill.

Thanks for the help and so far am finding it a very useful program. Better then some other CAD software I have used. Just need to get this fixed as this is part of my business and need to be able to ship these models for CAM work and g-code creation.

Thanks,

Michael

Hi Michael

See attached I used cover surface tool on each area instead of fill, and then the stitch tool to generate a solid that can be exported to cam packages.

Files was saved in Shark LT v8 so it has the .slt extension but you can open in ViaCAD.

Regards

Jason
File Attachment(s):
270 Pro Combstiched.slt (81kb) downloaded 6 time(s).

Windows 11, 10
m.marino  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, August 9, 2011 2:14:34 AM(UTC)
m.marino

Man
United Kingdom

Jason thanks,

I was able to go back and hollow out the solid to .01mm walls which is within the tolerance I need for the milling I am doing. Still learning and getting to know the different tools and how they work in this system (every program has a few quirks).

As to why the need for surfaces (or solids). That image is half of a comb for a 12 hole chromatic harmonica. 2D pocketing will not work as the bottom of the milling (those ramps) have to meet the tolerances involved. Every 2.5D and 3D CAM program that I have used requires a surface to give the depth that is required for the mill to dive. I really don't fancy writing out the code long hand (though I can if needed). Which is why the surfaces are needed in the first place.

I wonder why the image caused your program to crash as it does not even cause ViaCAD to use half the memory I have when working on it (4G RAM) and the video card is an old one at only 256MB RAM on it. the OS is XP SP3 (sorry the latest and greatest from MS does not impress me enough to buy a copy yet).

I will let you folks know how things go. Cover surface in Shark is the same as VC v8 correct? I just want to be sure and better to ask what seems a stupid question and learn then to keep my mouth shut and not learn.

Again Thanks,

Michael
MM0MSU

blowlamp  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, August 9, 2011 3:27:17 AM(UTC)
blowlamp

Do you mind me asking which CAM program you're using?
I use CamBam and find it works really well with ViaCAD.

Martin.
m.marino  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, August 9, 2011 4:07:08 AM(UTC)
m.marino

Man
United Kingdom

Thanks Jason,

The information has proved useful and getting work done now in a fraction of the time I was with the other software I was using with much less headache. Keep up the good work Punch. Though Fill still needs work as according to the program it should work for this. Still you have saved me about a days worth of work creating the solid to be sent to the CAM program for g-code creation.

Michael
MM0MSU

m.marino  
#7 Posted : Thursday, August 11, 2011 2:33:27 AM(UTC)
m.marino

Man
United Kingdom

Martin,

I currently use CamBam for 2.5D cutting work (still learning how to use the 3D abilities of CamBam as curve is a bit steep). I use BobCAD/CAM for complex 2.5D (angled surfaces and surfaces where the bottom of the pocket IS the important part). I am currently working on learning CamBam more and looking at adding Aspire to the knowledge base as I really like the layout and tool set up of Aspire over CamBam (though CamBam is much better at making clean code then BobCAD/CAM [wish I had never bought it, but a lesson learned]).

Back to the fill/surfacing. pocket number three from the end with the small pockets will not allow me to surface it. I have checked direction and that does not seem to be the problem and also check all the lines and they are the correct measure for full connection. Also have surfaces touching all the lines. So any help for what I am missing would be greatly appreciated.

If any of you folks are interested in what this goes to, it is half of a professional grade 12 hole chromatic harmonica comb. once I get some cut will post a link on my website (soon to go live, pain in the backside). I will have various items that I have done design and reverse engineering of on there and from now on VC will be the program that the design work is done in.

I just have to figure out how to build the libraries of all the parts I use often (varying M2 bolts, M1.6, M1.4; gaskets, valves, springs, reed forms). I really like how well the program lets me build quickly and accurately the parts I need for projects. makes setting up for cutting, shaping much easier and the 2D let's me send designs to some of my mentors for them to give feed back and show where I might be doing something the hard way or have found a solution to a problem in a different fashion.

Thanks for building this program guys/gals and thanks even more for making it affordable for us small business's.

Michael Marino, DC
Owner: Free Reed Foolery.

Edited to add update image for ease of seeing the problem wiring section.
File Attachment(s):
270 Pro Combstiched.vc3 (125kb) downloaded 6 time(s).

MM0MSU