logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
NorthridgeFab  
#1 Posted : Saturday, May 11, 2013 3:46:21 PM(UTC)
NorthridgeFab

I am trying to draw this steel sheetmetal part that will be cut on a cnc table then bent. I have a drawing of the part that's attached. I need help getting it drawing flat. When it's bent it will create a channel, it is the vertical on flatbed headache rack.
File Attachment(s):
Untitled 1.vc3 (6kb) downloaded 15 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
memphisjed  
#2 Posted : Monday, May 13, 2013 2:56:04 AM(UTC)
memphisjed

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
That is going to be an expensive piece of plate, going down to 1 inch would save a very big penny. Most shops can bend 1", but 2 inch takes a serious break (our 150 ton wimpers under 2"). Also 1 inch can be plasma cut with 260 machines, while 2" is torch only. Plasma is much cheaper.
To unfold a shape: draw a work path along the bend axis. ASTM 36 is close to 1/3 of the width on the inside of a bend. Have a fillet inside dimension from the break/press handy. (example uses 1/8"). Also take in account miters, extending the bend axis lines to square material. Add up all the lengths of the work path; your case has bottom, bend, and top. draw your base line, and then a line perpendicular with total work path length. draw top line, then your edges.
Simple, now repeat with multi-bends and complex shapes and your stomach will burn from coffee and aspirin.
File Attachment(s):
bentplate.vcp (20kb) downloaded 15 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
L. Banasky  
#3 Posted : Monday, May 13, 2013 3:13:58 AM(UTC)
L. Banasky

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 100 post(s)
I'm thinking it is a part made from 10 ga. or 12 ga. material. Sheetmetal was mentioned in the original post.
Larry
memphisjed  
#4 Posted : Monday, May 13, 2013 6:18:54 PM(UTC)
memphisjed

then the original drawing is short a view. Not the first time, or last, I will mis-read a drawing. Unwrapping procedure stays the same.
NorthridgeFab  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, May 14, 2013 8:21:02 AM(UTC)
NorthridgeFab

The piece is being bent from 12g. No, not all the views are there. Unwrapping it is what I am having trouble with.
memphisjed  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, May 14, 2013 3:36:17 PM(UTC)
memphisjed

For roughing out an unwrap use paper, you can even check for exactness by printing a copy with the bend line section then cutting out with scissors or xacto. Paper is cheap and soft.
NorthridgeFab  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, May 15, 2013 6:57:45 AM(UTC)
NorthridgeFab

Originally Posted by: memphisjed Go to Quoted Post
For roughing out an unwrap use paper, you can even check for exactness by printing a copy with the bend line section then cutting out with scissors or xacto. Paper is cheap and soft.

I've dont that on smaller pieces, but this is rather large.
memphisjed  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, May 15, 2013 11:43:06 AM(UTC)
memphisjed

print window has a scale function. print to numerical scale not paper size - this helps edits.