logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Chris.e  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, September 6, 2011 7:03:58 AM(UTC)
Chris.e

Hi!
I've been running ViaCAD for a while and I really like the software. The only thing that bothers me is that almost all my files becomes corrupt. It just says "The file is damaged, cannot read into application" This only happens with 3d files, and almost all of them. My workaround so far is that I try to open them multiple times, after 5-10 tries it suddenly opens. I thought it was some rendering thing so I've tried setting it to just wireframe but no difference.'

Im not saving them on a network drive either so Im out of ideas, anyone?

My setup:
Win7 x32
ViaCAD 7 2d/3d build 936.
jol  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, September 6, 2011 7:37:02 AM(UTC)
jol

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Yes - have come across this many times - and oddly enough they do usually open. This makes me think that the issue is somehow related to available memory !?

Anyone else seen this

... Perhaps we can get something done about it
Ryan Anderson  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, September 6, 2011 7:39:36 AM(UTC)
Ryan Anderson

I've had the same problem. It's very scary in the beginning, but the files always seem to open eventually. I now make 2 copies of all my files, which is a huge pain, but it gives me some sort of insurance. I save on my hard drive, and a usb stick. Seems to be less of a problem in shark than it was in 2d3d.

Ryan
Chris.e  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, September 6, 2011 8:45:55 AM(UTC)
Chris.e

Yes they all seem to open eventually but it doesnt feel that safe..what if it's not. Im allways making multiple backup along modeling but it's far from optimal.

As jol mentioned it feels like it has something to do with memory? If I have a browser, corel draw, email etc. open there seems to take more tries to open compared to when I only have ViaCAD open, even if Im not even using half of my physical RAM with all those other open.
Chris.e  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, September 6, 2011 9:17:29 AM(UTC)
Chris.e

Possible solution, at least for me.
When I choose "run as administrator" (I am also admin in win7) it works. It also doesn't change graphic mode when it starts either. Is this bug fixed in v8?
Tim Olson  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, September 6, 2011 9:34:24 AM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 499 time(s) in 353 post(s)
Chris

>>My setup:
>>ViaCAD 7 2d/3d build 936.

Private email me your splash screen which has your serial number. Let's update you to a current version of ViaCAD 2D/3D v7.

[email protected]

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
Ryan Anderson  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, September 6, 2011 5:18:01 PM(UTC)
Ryan Anderson

'run as administrator' seemed to help, but not correct the problem. I would really like to see this fixed, so I can have a warm fuzzy feeling instead of a sinking gut feeling every time I try to open a file.

Ryan
Tim Olson  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, September 6, 2011 8:45:06 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 499 time(s) in 353 post(s)
If anyone is experiencing this on a V7 build prior to 967 please send me your splash screen and I will send you an update. I'm curious if you see it in any 967+ builds.

[email protected]

Thanks

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
Ryan Anderson  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, September 7, 2011 7:46:44 AM(UTC)
Ryan Anderson

Tim

Just tried to open a bunch of files with both sharkfx b967, as well as b969, I ran into problems with one file approx 22mb which was modeled in 2d3d b936. Other than that file, everything else opens with no problems, leading me to believe that it is that file which somehow got corrupted.

Ryan
Chris.e  
#10 Posted : Thursday, September 8, 2011 10:45:35 AM(UTC)
Chris.e

Originally Posted by: Tim Olson Go to Quoted Post
If anyone is experiencing this on a V7 build prior to 967 please send me your splash screen and I will send you an update. I'm curious if you see it in any 967+ builds.

[email protected]

Thanks

Tim

I still get the same problem with my old files (created with 936), but now I think it lies in the file creation. Just my amateur guess :) This is how I did today

1. Tried top open my old file ten times. worked 2 out of 10.

2. Saved my old file again (same filename etc) with the new build. Closed and tried to open ten times. Works 10 out of 10 so far...

Thanks Tim!
jol  
#11 Posted : Friday, September 9, 2011 2:26:30 PM(UTC)
jol

I ask again though - why does this mode even exist ?

I have never seen this in any other app but Shark / VC

Any other app still displays the full menu headers even when there is no document !

oops - please ignore - wrong thread : )
ZeroLengthCurve  
#12 Posted : Friday, September 9, 2011 5:25:34 PM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Tim Olson Go to Quoted Post

[email protected]

Thanks

Tim

"Prior to" 967? Or, can that be read to also mean "
I ask because I've seen it in 967 for files that I created around Dec 10 in VC 6 2D/3D or maybe it was 7. If mine counts, I'll send in a snapshot.
Chris.e  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, September 13, 2011 1:46:48 AM(UTC)
Chris.e

Update: It still happens occasionally, but not as often as in the previous build.