logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ZeroLengthCurve  
#1 Posted : Saturday, January 4, 2014 9:11:53 PM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Was thanked: 36 time(s) in 25 post(s)
Currently, I'm running Slt v8.0.0 on my laptop and have a 2nd head attached. The laptop LCD is 15", and normally maxes out around 1366x702. The external, 21.5" LCD can take up to 1920x1024ish, and currently is at 1920x1014.

I managed to get VirtualBox to resize (by hand) and it made win7 show the main desktop as 1792x960, on the laptop. Again, 1920x1014 is what the external LCD is doing.

Interestingly, despite balking that I have only 2 physical displays, VBox WILL go ahead and let me run three desktops. This made me ponder obtaining a SECOND external display, provided I can get my hands on an adapter box to let me connect two LCDs to my laptops SVGA-OUT port.

If that is possible, then I'll use my laptop display for documentation, one LCD for geometry work, and the second LCD for the tools palettes. Or, I may leave the tools palettes on the laptop since giving them to a 21.5" display would be wasteful, unless I use a floating viewport. But, so far, I experienced sluggish behavior when using a second viewport and when using 3-by-1 displays, too.

What interesting VCP/Shark multihead setups do any of you out there have configured?

BTW, of you monitor ads and sales, you might easily find BBuy and OfficeDepot selling 21" LED and LCD panels for $89 before tax. Lately, the weight has dropped, too. One I have now is from AOC, and it weighs maybe 4 pounds. It is just barely portable, and if prices keep low on these, it might lead to some real productivity gains for me. But, that will be dependent upon the availability of and price of small, non-bulky combining devices to get the multiple external displays split. If I get up to 4 displays in total running, then I can make even better use of them: PCLOS on two, and win7 via VBox on two. Hopefully, such a combiner/combining box will cost less than $50.
ZeroLengthCurve  
#2 Posted : Saturday, January 4, 2014 9:55:20 PM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

is interesting (to me, at least) because it was funny and seems possibly useful to have two virtual desktops on one physical display.

It could be useful for situation where it is a nuissance to keep alt-tabbing between two important apps or resizing them to fit side-by-side and having dialog boxes from one obscure the app beside it. So, with two virtual desktops on one screen, those dialogs might be constrained to their own desktop, depending on how the user configures the OS to manage dialog boxes and such. I cannot recall how to do it under win7, or whether it is even possible. But, under KDE, it's possible to have unmanaged and other specified panels/palettes/popups be displayed on an alternative display/desktop than the one the parent app actually runs in.

Cheers
ZeroLengthCurve  
#3 Posted : Monday, January 6, 2014 4:36:21 PM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Also, this could be useful if you somehow acquire a huge PC/Mac-connectable flatscreen and want to reduce your mousing across huge screen expanse. Just create 5 virtual desktops on a 50" or 60" screen. Shift them around or close to screen-center to reduce wrist throw.

Enjoy!